Arc Flash Evaluation Studies
PTW Arc Flash Evaluation calculates the incident energy and arc flash boundary for each
location in a power system. Arc Flash saves time by automatically determining trip times
from the protective device settings and arcing fault current values. Incident energy and
arc flash boundaries are calculated following the NFPA 70E, IEEE 1584 and NESC standards.
Clothing requirements are specified from a user-defined clothing library. Clearing times
can be automatically reduced based on current-limiting capabilities.
- 1. Design safer power systems while applying the NEC 110.16, OSHA, NFPA 70E, IEEE 1584 and NESC standards or requirements.
- 2. Save time with the fully integrated Short Circuit, Over-Current Coordination, Equipment Evaluation and Arc Flash Evaluation modules working together with libraries of clothing levels, protective devices and bus ratings.
- 3. Provide a safer working environment by specifying the proper level of clothing. Wearing inadequate clothing is dangerous for obvious reasons, but wearing too much clothing is dangerous due to limited mobility and visibility.
- 4. Evaluate alternatives quickly and easily to establish an optimal design.
- 5. Improve safety margins with user-definable arcing fault tolerances.
- 6. Save time by automatically generating arc flash labels and work permits.
- 7. Avoid potential fines, lost productivity, and increased insurance and litigation costs.
- Simple to use tabular interface for system design, PPE selection, and reviewing
- Summary and detail view enables complete bus by bus examination of study data.
- Pre-populated library of protective clothing allows user-defined PPE additions.
- Bus and branch arcing fault values are automatically calculated and trip times are automatically determined from the protective device settings.
- Arc Flash labels are automatically produced to comply with NEC 110.16 labeling
requirements and can be printed to several standard size label sheets.
- Create custom labels in any size with user-defined logos, text, comments, field
placement, and local language support.
- Report selected bus locations using custom queries or go-to function.
- Full featured reporting including bus report, line-side report, and load-side report.
- Option to follow the NFPA 70E, IEEE 1584 or NESC standards.
- Option to perform DC Arc Flash analsys. (DC Systems study module required)
- Option to report in English or Metric units.
- Fuses and breakers may be modeled as current limiting devices with user-defined equations.
- Allows representation of differential, zone-interlocking, photo-sensing, and other special instantaneous protection schemes.
- Induction motors can be included; excluded; or included for a user-defined time.
- Automatically accumulates energy from parallel contributions that clear at different times.
- Compare results from multiple project scenarios in a single table.
- Option to check upstream protective devices for mis-coordination.